Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 16, 2021 at 5:18 am

Thoughts on Fleecing God – Judges 6:36-38

I have always been bothered by the idea of “fleecing God.” The scriptures admonish us to not test God (Deuteronomy 6:16). We should invite God to test us (Psalm 139:23) and we should test the spirits as part of discernment (1 John 4:1), but we should not put God to a test. In my view, only the immature require a sign from God before they can believe God. The mature not only believe in God, they believe Him and do what He says.

I really like what JD says about the pathway to spiritual maturity, “Our Father wants us to grow up into the deep likeness of his son, Jesus, anchored in his Word, animated by his Spirit, abiding in his presence, attached to his friends and activated in his Kingdom.” Maturity (the deeper journey) is a matter of a deep loving union with Jesus; being grounded in His Word; filled with the Holy Spirit; abiding (obeying) in Him; belonging to a local body of believers; and being actively engaged in His mission and purposes. This takes time to cultivate, but once you have, you don’t need a fleece to tell you wether God is speaking. You simply pray, speak Lord, your servant is listening. Then you do what He says.