Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 18, 2021 at 6:14 am

This is a story about God – Judges 7:4-6

This story probably made a lot more sense to the original audience than it does to us. Most of us, even soldiers, drink water out of a container not out of a river. I don’t blame JD for not getting bogged down in the interpretation. There are some things you just have to accept on face value and move on. The why question is not that important in this case.

The larger theme is that God set the standard by which Gideon was to use to separate the men. Therefore, that makes this a story about God and His standards not man’s. I seriously doubt that we would have used the same standard.

This reminds me of another story of separating people. In Matthew 25:31-46, we read a story of judgment and of separation that is about God and His standards. When Jesus comes in His glory, he will separate people like a shepherd separates sheep from goats. The standard won’t be how good you were, or how often you attended church, or how many church programs you participated in. The standard will be how you loved and served the needs of other people, even the least of them (verse 40). Lord help me to love well!