Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 21, 2021 at 6:40 am

The seductive hell of a predictable situation- Numbers 13:1-3, 18-20

As I have probably shared before, the one thing I have learned about human nature is that people will not change until the pain of their present situation is greater than the perceived pain of changing. The status quo (predictable situation) or tradition, no matter how bad it is, becomes comfortable and they become ambivalent or numb to the negative aspects of their present situation. The Israelites wanted to either return to bondage in Egypt or just stay in the desert rather than risk the unknowns of crossing the Jordan into the “promised land” as God commanded.

I am sitting here thinking what does this and today’s reading and reflection say to me? My predictable situation is not a hell, it is actually unbelievably good and I am too blessed to be depressed. Why would I want to change or risk what I have for the “joy of an unpredictable one?” I learned a long time ago that the “grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.” The grass is actually “greener where you water it,” so bloom where you are planted. Make the most of what you have.

So why would I want to change? The answer is, only if God asked me to. In my mind, it is always a matter of surrender, submission and obedience to God’s Will no matter how unpredictable it may be or how comfortable your present situation is. That may not be very encouraging, but that is the way I see it.