Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 29, 2021 at 6:42 am

The love of God and the love of Moses – Numbers 14:17-19

I liken the love of Moses for his people to the love of Jesus for us. Both loved God and had a profound love of others. They were willing to die for the sake of others. The profound love of God and others is the ultimate mark of a mature believer.

I struggle with this type of love for people I don’t like or that have hurt me or are trying to hurt me. I don’t like people who are self absorbed, lazy or what we used to call just plain sorry. I find it hard to love people who live in darkness and seek to harm me or others. I especially find it hard to love so called Christ Followers who live in darkness and support values and public policies that God’s Word says are sin. Their hypocrisy infuriates me just like it did Jesus, but he still loved them and died for them.

What I am learning is that none of that matters. They are still a child of God and a person of sacred worth just like me and I am commanded by Jesus to love them just like He loves me. God will judge them and He will not leave the guilty unpunished (verse 18), but it’s not my place to judge or condemn them.

I have also learned that you have to “Love like you have never been hurt” and you have to go first. Franklin Jentezen has written an excellent book by that title that I highly recommend to anyone who struggles with loving the unloveable or those who have hurt you. Lord help me to love like Jesus and Moses.