Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 1, 2021 at 5:35 am

Why discouragement means death – Numbers 14:36-38.

If you have been tracking with me in this reading group or if you know me, you know I am a talker and a man of many words. I have spent all of my adult life as a teacher and communicator. Words matter to me and I take seriously my responsibility to pick my words very carefully. I don’t always do this, especially when I speak in anger, which is a point of spiritual growth for me. I try to use my words to build up, inform, equip, and encourage others, but as JD says, “the task of an encourager is to speak the truth in love so that, “we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ”. (Ephesians 4:15).

I am especially careful when I share or teach God’s Word to communicate God’s Truth, nothing more nothing less. I try to let the text speak for itself and not add or take anything away. I don’t cherry pick or avoid the hard passages. I don’t deductively select words that support my personal point of view. I consider the context and the whole counsel of God. JD’s proclamation that, “I don’t sit in judgment on this Word. I sit under its judgment” is extremely important to remember. If God’s says it is the promised land, then that is what it is. If God says it is a sin, then that is what it is. We don’t get to vote on these matters or bend God’s Word to fit current cultural norms. Just because the majority say it ok, doesn’t make it right.