Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 8, 2021 at 6:07 am

Stop Working for Jesus – Joshua 1:7-9

I totally get it because I have lived it. I have spent the majority of my Christian walk working for Jesus, aka doing church work. For the most part it has been a lot of programs and activities, and an endless number of committee meetings that really didn’t amount to a lot in terms of reaching the lost for Christ or helping people become the type of person Jesus can work through.

For the past ten years, I have been focused on being in Christ and allowing Him to work through me. My first priority is my personal discipleship, “Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.” I no longer read the Bible in order to teach others. I read the Bible in order to be transformed, so Jesus can teach others through me and my words. I am seeking to be the change I wish to see in others.

I still believe we should assemble together as is our custom and that belonging to a local community of faith is important, but for the most part I am done with organized religion led by paid professionals. I believe in making disciples the way Jesus did and the way Paul instructed Timothy (2 Timothy 2:2). I am focused on banded discipleship and working with small home groups.

As I read over this, it seems to be a bit boastful and critical of the church. That is not my intent. This is simply my story and God is still writing it. I share all this to emphasize the need to stop working for Jesus and to encourage you to start doing the things that will allow God to make you into the type of person Jesus can work through.