Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 10, 2021 at 5:28 am

Growling in the word of God – Joshua 1:7-9

When I first read the title of today’s reading my mind saw growing not growling. No offense to JD, but the analogy of a lion growling while devouring his prey does not work for me. The scriptures do refer to eating the words of God and it being sweet as honey (Ezekiel 3:3). There is also a really good book entitled Eat this Word by Eugene Patterson, the author of The Message that reinforces the idea of meditating on the word as being a filling not an emptying of ourselves. It is really about a form of spiritual or divine reading of the Word. Where you allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you through the Word. It’s about reading for transformation not information.

I began reading the Bible as a duty and to prepare for teaching. Then I begin to read the Word as part of my daily spiritual rhythm or discipline. I still do both, but over time this practice has become a habit and a delight. It has become the lens that I view the world and others through and a means to satisfy my desire to know Him more deeply, hear Him more clearly, and follow Him more nearly.