Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 13, 2021 at 5:01 am

Presenting the person of Jesus – Joshua 1:7-9

The centrality of Jesus is an absolute necessity for a Christ Follower. He is our Savior and Lord of our life (1st & 2nd parts of the Gospel). He, through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, is our Rabbi and only teacher. He is our King and ruler of the Kingdom of God, all authority in Heaven and on earth has been given to Him. Abiding in Him and obeying His commandments is our number one job. He is the main thing.

The only issue I have with JD’s reflection is that these other things, spiritual practices, are not really distractions unless they become the main thing. The spiritual practices are a means to an end and without them you won’t make Jesus the main thing. This is the same problem I have with some people’s interpretation of the story of Mary and Martha. Mary dropped everything and just sat at the feet of Jesus while Martha was on her feet doing what needed to be done in order to carry out Jesus’s commands.

I am not going to argue with what Jesus told Martha in Luke 10:41-42, “But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” However, I have known a lot of Mary’s in my life that thought they didn’t have to put forth any effort as long as they stay focused on Jesus. That may be right, but I have found you need to be both Mary and Martha. Jesus said, deny yourself; pick up your cross; and follow me. He didn’t say just sit there and bask in my presence and leave everything up to me. In order to present the person of Jesus, we must become like Him and do what He has commanded us to do. We must love one another by serving one another and building up and encouraging one another; we must go and make Disciples of all peoples.