Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 22, 2021 at 6:12 am

November 22, 2021 – Habakkuk 3: 17-19

The principle of finding pure joy in the midst of trials and suffering is a hard teaching. I know in my case, it was not pure joy when I was mourning the sudden loss of my first love. Joy had left the room and I was consumed with grief and loneliness. Yet somehow I knew He would rescue me and that things would get better. I clung to the fact that it is always the darkest before the dawn and that “Weeping may last for the night, But a shout of joy comes in the morning” (Psalm 30:5b). A prayer that my first love had prayed over me in times of distress. That was the only level of joy I could muster at the time, but it was sufficient.

JD’s prayer is where I think we find the strength to rejoice always even in the midst of despair, “You didn’t rescue me out of it, which I may never understand, but bless you because you are redeeming me in and through it.” God doesn’t cause our circumstances and He doesn’t always rescue us from them, but He always uses them to bless and redeem us in and through them. “In the pressing, in the crushing, you are making new wine” (Hillsong). I can find pure joy in that.

That was definitely the cases with me. I learned a lot about myself and my faith during those dark nights of the soul. That was actually a painful, but joyful experience. Then God not only redeemed me, He gave me a second first love who is now my partner in life and ministry. She was the perfect helpmate chosen for me before the beginning of time for this season in my life and for His future purposes for me. Through her, He has restored my joy and blessed me beyond my wildest dreams.