Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 26, 2021 at 6:42 am

November 26, 2021

Several things occurred to me as I read and reflect on JD’s commentary this morning. First, I know the will of God for you. In general, God’s Will for us is revealed in His Word. I love 1 Thessalonians 5, but there is also 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8 “For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor, not in lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God; and that no man transgress and defraud his brother in the matter because the Lord is the avenger in all these things, just as we also told you before and solemnly warned you. For God has not called us for the purpose of impurity, but in sanctification. He who rejects this is not rejecting man but the God who gives His Holy Spirit to you.” We need to consider the whole counsel of God in order to know His Will for us, but it can be summed up in being sanctified or Holy and pure.

Specifically, God’s Will is revealed to us by the Holy Spirit. This is a bit trickier because there is wisdom from above and then there is that which is earthly, natural, and demonic (James 3:13-17). We have to test the spirits to know the difference (1 John 4:1-3). In my experience, the Holy Spirit will never tell you to do something that contradicts the Word and Will of God as revealed in Scripture or that would harm you or others.

Finally, Intention – attention – action. In my experience the thing that moves intention to action is discipline. There are many mornings when I really don’t want to practice my spiritual rhythm (discipline), but I do it anyhow. Once you do this long enough it becomes a habit and habits are hard to break.