Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

November 30, 2021 at 6:39 pm

November 30, 2021

In our reading today, JD says, “Some people still believe we can’t fix our gaze on Jesus until we have “thrown off” our entangling sin. People, the exact opposite is true. We can’t throw off our entangling sin until we fix our eyes on Jesus. When we do this, sin has a way of becoming irrelevant doesn’t it?” I believe he is absolutely correct, but what does it mean to “fix our eyes on Jesus,” and does this mean we can continue to go on living in sin?

Paul wrestled with this same question in Romans 6:1-2, “What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? The author of Hebrews, widely believed to also be Paul, deals with this same topic, “For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a terrifying expectation of judgment and the fury of a fire which will consume the adversaries” (Hebrews 10:26-27). Finally, In 1st John 3:3-6, we read, “And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness. You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin. No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him.” Based on these scriptures and the whole counsel of God, I believe it is very clear that those who have accepted God’s Grace should not go on willfully sinning. If they do they either do not know Him and therefore are not really saved or they are settling for cheap Grace and are missing out on the joy of their salvation.

So what is JD saying and what does it mean to fix our eyes on Jesus. The way God’s Grace works, in my understanding, is that when we believe and accept Christ we are justified, reckoned righteousness, forgiven and saved through no effort of our own. It is a gift from God not based on merit. We are also sanctified and made holy in the eyes of God by His Sanctifying Grace (1 Corinthians 6:11). It is like receiving an A at the beginning of the course. It’s no longer something we have to live up to. It is something we will want to live into, if we are born again and have a true saving relationship with Jesus.

The Holy Spirit, which we received at salvation, will help us “throw off everything that hinders, and the sin that so easily entangles.” So what I think JD is saying and what this means is that if we fix our eyes on Jesus and abide in him we will no longer want to sin and if we do, we will repent, confess, and move on trusting God to cleanse us from all unrighteous (1 John 1:9).