Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 7, 2021 at 6:22 am

December 7, 2021

I have not lived a sacrificial life, certainly not on the same scale as Jesus, Abraham, David or Mary. For the most part, I have lived a blessed life, so it is harder for me to fully comprehend or identity with the act of Jesus giving himself to the world. Most people born in America after the post World War boom have not lived a life of sacrifice. That is why it is important for us to remember and learn from those that have.

Most of us can’t identify with, “The Lord Will Provide” because the world has provided us with so much abundance. When I was poor, I thought I knew what it was like to be totally dependent on the Lord’s provision until I went to Africa and spent time with people who had nothing compared to us and saw how they flocked to the Lord of Provision. I returned ashamed of the affluence that I took for granted.

I am not sharing this to make me or you feel bad about ourselves and I realize that some of you have lived a life of sacrifice. I am sharing this so that I/we can slow down long enough to realize that all we have is really the result of someone else’s sacrifice. That our response should be thanksgiving and to sacrificially use our blessings to bless others.

As far what act of suffering and self-offering (sacrifice) of Jesus that I most identify with is concerned, it is His faithfulness and obedience. In each of the examples in today’s reading, it was their faithfulness and obedience that released the Lord’s Provision. That is the big takeaway for me. It is not really about sacrifice, it is about faithfulness and obedience with all that you have. Lord let me be more faithful and obedient, so that your provision can flow through me to others. You are the provider, let me be the sower.