Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 22, 2021 at 6:31 am

December 22, 2021

There have been a only a few times in my life when I was terrified and sorely afraid, but I often feel beside myself in worry. Sometimes it will manifest itself in a full blown panic attack. I am so overwhelmed that I can’t breathe. It is a very scary situation.

Most of the time these attacks are brought on by circumstances where I feel out of control or where I feel I have made a major mistake and I fear the consequences that I imagine will result from these actions. These attacks usually occur late at night. They are like dark nights of the soul (Saint John of the Cross) where I am wrestling with these issues and sometimes with God. The big question is always why me Lord and how in the world am I going to survive this? In the past, I have even resorted to medication for these panic attacks, which only dulled the pain of these moments and provided no solutions.

Fortunately, I learned along the way to turn to prayer, hope, and trust in God based on His awesome grace and provision for me in the past. I have found that when I quit wrestling with the issue and just be still and wait in a Spirit of prayer and thanksgiving, I can breathe again and I am able to see a way forward. I have buried God’s promises in my heart and that’s what I turn to in these moments. A Scripture that I turn to often is, “weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning” (Psalm 30:5, KJV). I have lived this over and over again to the point that I know it is true. Another one that I use in really dire (in my mind) situations is Romans 8:38-39, not even death can separate me from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus.

Now I know that there are people who suffer from mental illness and more severe forms of anxiety than my garden variety self induced panic attacks. The last thing they want to hear from me is that all you need to do is pray harder. I will leave those cases up to the medical professionals, but I am confident that prayer, hope and trust in God, the ultimate physician, can’t hurt.