Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 28, 2021 at 6:24 am

December 28, 2021

I am a student (life long learner) and a seeker. My “sacred pathway” is my intellect (Sacred Pathways, Gary Thomas). Therefore, I can really identify with the Magi in today’s text and reading. I love to study and meditate on God’s Word. God most often speaks to me through the written word first. That is why reading, especially scripture, is a major component of my daily spiritual rhythm.

Sarah’s proclamation that “The gift of God’s Word, our attention to it, and our willingness to follow, are the means of discovery, and the invitation for inclusion in God’s story” is an important statement. It is why Bible Reading and Study are so important. What I have learned is that the reading and study of God’s Word for discovery and direction needs to be inductive not deductive.

Deductive or topical Bible study begins with a topic or a premise (proposition) and then the student searches the scriptures to find references that deal with the topic or support the premise. There is nothing inherently wrong with this approach and it can be helpful, but it can also lead to false interpretations that support our point of view, especially if the scriptures are taken out of context.

Inductive Bible Study begins with the universal truths rooted in all of scripture, considers the context, and then applies them to the topic or proposition. Inductive Bible study takes into account the whole counsel of God’s Word not just those verses that address the topic or proposition.

I especially like the ancient practice of Lecto Divina or Holy Reading, where you allow the Holy Spirit to provide the illumination and application. Put another way, you allow the Text and God to speak for themselves. In this sense, your reading and study can be both intellectual and Spiritual. Lord bless the reading and hearing of your word, but more importantly the application and willingness to follow (obey) your word, nothing more, nothing less. Amen!