Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 29, 2021 at 5:48 am

December 29, 2021

I look at this Text and my pursuit of the things of God differently than Sarah, but I think we are saying the same thing. When I was lost in the wilderness of self, I was searching as the Magi were for a Savior and I was definitely doing it with an expectation of what was in it for me. I wanted some relief. I wanted peace, contentment, direction and a purpose for living in this broken and dark World. I found it in Jesus with no gift or sacrifice required other than surrender. As the Twelve Steps of Recovery states, I had to first admit that my life was unmanageable and then I had to accept that I have no control over my life and that I need God to redeem me.

Once I was saved my pursuit became a response to what He had done for me. I wanted to be worthy of Him and to serve Him. That has led me to want to know Him better and to make Him Known. My worship is not sacrifice, it is service in His Kingdom, which is a reward in and of itself. Therefore my answer to today’s question, “As you pursue the things of God, is it your tendency to seek God for what you can get? Or what you can give?” is both.