Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

December 31, 2021 at 6:28 am

December 31, 2021

The close of Advent and the eve of a New Year is a good time to reflect on when Heaven meets earth and our response to those moments. Sarah’s statement is instructive, “When we want awakening, to taste the beautiful moments of heaven commingling with earth, it won’t just happen as we wait for God to intervene with angels, it will happen as we work to meet God.” Nothing just happens in my opinion. It requires some form of action on our part. I am not a big fan of Que, Sera’, Sera’ (whatever will be, will be). Certainly this was not the case for Joseph and the other participants in the coming of Christ.

The reality is that God is going to do what God does. It is really not dependent on us, so you could say that Que, Sara’, Sara’ is an accurate response. The question is wether we get to participate in what God is doing. We have already read about the necessity for the pursuit of God through devotion, worship, and discipline that makes discernment and obedience possible. What Is important to remember is that at the same time we are pursuing God, He is pursuing us and inviting us to participate if we have eyes to see and a willing obedience.

A exercise that I learned somewhere along the way is the practice of “Glory Sightings and Hope Encounters.” Glory Sightings are where we learn to look for God’s work that is happening all around us and to us, but we are too busy or too distracted to recognize it and give Him the glory for it and respond accordingly. Although some people, even believers, think I am crazy, I see God’s hand in everything good or bad that happens to me (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). For example, the other night we went out to eat and the place was packed out, but we ended up with a great table with a wonderful server and had a great meal and a good time. Was that whatever will be, will be or God’s provision? I chose the latter.

Now here is the rest of the story. With every Glory Sighting there is a Hope Encounter, an opportunity to respond to God; to participate in what He is doing; and to share the hope we have in Christ. Our server was a young women visibly overwhelmed with the crowd, but still very pleasant. In our celebration for getting seated at a great table we had the opportunity for a Hope encounter, to intervene in the life of this young woman. We asked if we could pray for her. The look on her face said it all. We prayed for her and then the Holy Spirit spoke to us and we left her a big tip. I am reminded of Mary’s response to all the events of Advent in Luke 2:19, “But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart.” I treasure and ponder Glory Sightings and God Encounters, they make my life in this crazy world worth living.