Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 1, 2022 at 6:51 am

January 1, 2022

A new year has begun. It is the customary time to make resolutions. Today’s Text puts all those resolutions in proper perspective. Isaiah 40:8 is simply repeated ten times and today’s reading ends with a simple yes Lord. Frankly, I would have repeated it seven times, the Biblical number for completion, and then encouraged the reader to read the whole chapter. This is not to criticize Sarah. She is making a very important point for us to consider when making resolutions, most of which will not last, they will wither and fade.

Isaiah 40 is about the greatness of God contrasted with the temporal nature of flesh and all its resolutions. Reading verses six and seven give interpretation and meaning to verse eight, “A voice says, “Call out.” Then he answered, “What shall I call out?” All flesh is grass, and all its loveliness is like the flower of the field. The grass withers, the flower fades, When the breath of the Lord blows upon it; Surely the people are grass” (Isaiah 40:6&7, NASB). We are grass and all our resolutions are the blooming of a flower. Here today, gone tomorrow when compared to greatness of God and the everlasting nature of His Words/Resolutions.

So what are we to do about this? The answer is revealed in my favorite verse from this chapter, “Yet those who wait for the Lord Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary” (Isaiah 40:31, NASB). The best New Year’s Resolution we can make is to read His word and wait on the Lord to act. It is presumptuous and even arrogant of me to make resolutions without consulting His word and waiting on His instructions. Therefore, I resolve to spend more time in His Word this year and to do what it says when and how He tells me to do it.