Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 5, 2022 at 6:49 am

January 5, 2022

I love it when JD gets on a rant. It makes me feel better about my own rants or what I prefer to call my Holy Discontent with the status quo in myself and the Body of Christ. When he says, “Friends, in case you haven’t noticed, the house is on fire and it is time to stop congratulating each other for bringing our water guns,” it energizes me to want to throw more fuel on the fire in order to wake people up before it’s too late. I want to fire off my own rant because I firmly believe people will not move from where they are to where they need to be until the heat of staying where they are is too hot for them to stay there. The change concept that supports my rants is called “creating burning platforms” (Daryl Conner, 1983).

The problem with rants as a means of creating burning platforms is that they usually don’t work and they can cause you to become marginalized or to use today’s language “canceled.” I experienced this at the beginning of the new Millennium when I tried three times unsuccessfully to reform and revitalize my local church and as a lay leader and General Conference Delegate in the United Methodist Church. I remember sitting in a conference committee meeting listening to people apologize for being critical of the church and calling for us to focus on the positive. I lost it and blurted out, what part of broken do you not see; We are going down by the bow and you people are talking about moving the deck chairs around. That was the beginning of the end of my influence and leadership in the church.

So why do I share all that? I share that to say that God’s Word for me in 2022 is Discipleship. It’s the same word he gave me over ten years ago, when I started my first Discipleship Band. We don’t need better churches, we need better Disciples. I still like to get on a rant about the way things are every now and then, but my focus is on being a better Disciple and helping others become better Disciples. In this regard, another word He has given me is Wait on me and go only where I send you; cease your striving; and be willfully obedient. Lord, your servant is listening; “may it be done to me according to your word” (Luke 1:38).