Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 7, 2022 at 6:52 am

January 7, 2022

My “wait for the Lord” text is Isaiah 40:31, “Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary.” When I wait on the Lord, my motive is not as much to give Him time to act, but to give me time to respond in accordance with His Word, His Will, and His Ways. It gives me time to pause and listen to the Holy Spirit.

Verse 5 of Psalm 130, “I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his Word I put my hope” gives me something to do while I am waiting. I can read or meditate on God’s Words that I have buried in my heart and apply it to my circumstances. Newton’s Third Law of Motion says, “for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.” God’s Law can change that equation, if we insert His Word, Ways, and Will into the small space between stimulus and response.

In my case, the space between stimulus and response is very small. Poke me and you won’t have to wait for my reaction, you will get one immediately. I react to stimuli very quickly and my reaction is not always a Godly response. I have used the twenty four rule for years. If I am offended by an email or something someone has done, I may react immediately, but I wait twenty four hours before I send it or say it out loud. My delete key is well worn and my trash can is full of responses where I did not wait for the Lord and put my hope in His Word.

My problem or challenge is those real time circumstances where I don’t or can’t give myself time to insert God into the equation. A conversation can quickly go south. The driver, especially truck drivers, that cuts me off will not get a blessing. The solution is a lot more complicated than a twenty four hour rule. A curse should not come out of the same mouth as a blessing (James 3:10). The solution is for me to become one with the Lord so that my response is always the same as His. I am not there yet, but I am working on letting Him transform me. That’s what I mean when I say, “Lord let it be done to me in accordance with your Word.”