Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 12, 2022 at 6:26 am

January 12, 2022

While I firmly believe that to be saved all we have to do is humbly receive God’s Grace, I struggle with the idea that we don’t have to do anything in response and that we will automatically bear fruit. To use JD’s shower analogy, I am not cleaned if I don’t get in the shower and it’s not a one time affair. I shower and I am rendered clean; then I go out into the world and get dirty again; and I have to take another shower.

I get what Jesus is saying, “You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you,” but I don’t think that means that we don’t have to do something; that we are free to do whatever we want. We have to stay in the shower (the Word); we have to abide in Christ; and we have to listen to Him and do what He says. That’s not slavery, that’s obedience, and there are consequences for willful disobedience (He cuts off every branch that does not bear fruit).

What I believe is that the shower, the cleansing, is free, in fact you have already been washed cleaned, but the bearing of fruit is the evidence of having received the shower. In others words, if you have truly received, you are clean and you will bear the fruit of obedience. If you fail at being fruitful, the answer is not to try harder, it is to get back into the shower. If you don’t think you need to shower (repent) or you refuse to do this it’s an indication that you never showered and you will be cut off.

The difference in the two points of view is subtle, but critical. Cheap Grace, says I am already saved and I am free to do whatever I want. Costly Grace says, I am saved, but I understand the costs and my need to stay in the shower. I hope this makes sense because I get real concerned for people who don’t recognize the difference and who continue to live in unrepentant sin thinking God’s love will negate His Truth (Word).