Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 13, 2022 at 7:06 am

January 13, 2022

Like JD, I started my journey reading a lot about what other people had to say about God’s Word and trying to understand the meaning of the scriptures. I consulted lots of commentaries and other sources. I believe this is appropriate for Bible Study, reading to gain knowledge and understanding, but reading scripture for transformation requires a deeper approach.

Now when I read scripture, I practice a simple process that can be remembered by the acrostic SOAP. Read the scripture over and over; make observations; consider applications; and then pray about your response. This is a form of the ancient practice of Lecto Divina or Divine Reading. More recently, I have adopted a practice of reading a particular scripture passage and then meditating on how it fits into the whole counsel of God’s Word. I ask myself, what does this reveal about God; what does it reveal about me and the world I live in; and what am I going to do about?

For example as I read the small selected reading from Psalm 119, the longest Book in the Bible and the longest Psalm in the book of Psalms, I was struck by the centrality and importance of God’s Word. The verse from today’s selection that struck me is verse nine, “How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word.” That verse really says it all not only for young followers, but all followers. The Christian life is all about staying on the path of righteousness and we do that by ordering our steps in accordance with God’s Word. God’s Word lights the way “Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path” (119:105).

If you let the text speak for itself, there is no other conclusion and you need no other source to interpret its meaning. The problem we have today is that some read the scriptures and say, God can’t really mean that. Then they go about questioning God and reinterpreting God’s Word to fit their own perspective or the prevailing culture. They begin to let their interpretation or the interpretation of others teach them rather than God’s Word as written. This a slippery slope that leads to destruction.