Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 16, 2022 at 6:40 am

January 16, 2022

I believe in the Living Word, Jesus Christ and His teachings. I believe in the written Word of God, which was written by men inspired by God. I also believe in the Word of God that is given for me, a special interpretation or application that speaks to me personally. Theologically this is referred to as the Logos and Rhema of the Word. The Logos is the well or whole counsel of scripture. The Rhema is the cupful that I draw from the well. It is important to note that the Rhema (spoken or heard Word) will always be in alignment with the Logos (living and written Word). This where people get into trouble when claiming to have heard a “Word from God.” All Scripture testifies to itself.

JD says, “For the Word of God to gain real prominence in our lives, at least two things must happen. First, we must gain a much larger perspective on Scripture and consequently a much grander vision. Second, we must learn to read at a whole new level.” That is an important takeaway from today’s reading. Keeping the larger picture in mind prevents us from getting lost in the weeds. For example, who did Cain marry. I won’t try to answer that question here, but the answer (God’s larger vision) is what makes us One Blood, One Race. Apply that Truth to today’s need for racial reconciliation.

Reading on a whole new level is a bit more complicated. I believe it means to read the Written Word (Logos) on a Spiritual (Rhema) level. Or put another way, it means let Scripture speak for itself. That means that Scripture addresses all our needs and issues regardless of wether it specifically mentions them or not. It also means that I don’t get to determine what God means. He means what he says. I just have to have spiritual ears to hear and spiritual eyes to see the Truth of the matter. It is the difference in absolute Truth and relative truth.