Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 17, 2022 at 6:54 am

January 17, 2022

My first response to today’s reading and JD’s call for a deeper form of Scripture reading that he calls “anchoring” is, who has time to do all this? I am fully retired, at least for now, and I am doing good to just read the Bible and to reflect on what it is saying about God and about me and the World I live in on a daily basis. Most people I know, especially those who are working and raising a houseful of kids, don’t read the Bible or a devotional on a daily basis. My goal is just to encourage them to read and to help them find the time to do it daily by making it a priority and a discipline (spiritual habit). I figure the deeper reading will flow out of that.

Having said that, I think JD is on to something, especially for those who have been reading the Word daily, but feel stuck at some place or point. If you are a reader of the Word and you have been reading for any length of time, you will eventually run into something you can’t quite comprehend or live into. For me that is, dying to self to the extent that the life I live now is hidden in Christ (Colossians 3:3). I think I understand and fully accept the principle, but why am I still struggling to live it. Why am I still living in two camps, my flesh and my spirit? What am I missing?

In my Home Church Group, we are dealing with the concept of our false self, our false religious self, and our true self. The author of the study we are reading together is using the teachings of Jesus and Paul to help us unravel this mystery and to help us spiritually discover and be our True Self. In particular, he is using Colossians 2&3 to reveal the “Deeper Journey.” I am led to “anchor” in these chapters for a while. Lord sustain me and illuminate my understanding.