Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 19, 2022 at 6:43 am

January 19, 2022

Reflecting on keeping our eye on the ball, the word of God, I can understand what it means by thinking about shooting sporting clays, an analogy that I realize may not be familiar to many of you, but it works for me. In sporting clays, we have a saying that you must “be the clay” in order to hit the target. You don’t really aim the shotgun, with both eyes open; you focus and center your eyes on the target; align the gun with your body, and the gun will follow what your eyes see. We also say, don’t over think it or you will miss the target because in the time it takes you to think about it, the target has moved on and you will miss it.

In our pursuit of a loving union with God and being like Christ for the sake of others, we actually need to do the same thing. We don’t focus on our behaviors, our spiritual practices like reading and studying scripture, or on our church rituals. These are important tools, but like the shotgun in Sporting Clays, they are a means to an end and not an end in of themselves. We align our body with the written Word, but we focus our eyes on Jesus, the living Word, and we follow Him. We don’t think about it, we just do it. When we do that, we will hit the mark every time. How’s that for putting the relationship between the written word found in the Holy Scriptures and the Living Word found in Christ into my own words? I hope this analogy helps you keep your eyes on Jesus.