Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 20, 2022 at 6:27 am

January 20, 2022

The movement from the prescriptive to the descriptive Word is the matter of “being and doing” that we have discussed many times before. When I first started reading, meditating, and studying the Word, it was definitely prescriptive. In the very beginning of my walk, my focus was on what I was not to do, the don’ts.

When the behavior management approach didn’t work out so well, I begin to think the focus should be on what I should do and not on what I should not do. My focus shifted to religious doing, tithing, church work, and self improvement through the personal practice of the spiritual disciplines of prayer, Bible Study, and self examination.

When the self help approach didn’t accomplish my desire to become more like Christ for the sake of others, I began to discover the transformative power of the Holy Spirit and the deeper spiritual reading of the Word of God that JD and others have been proposing throughout both volumes of this First Word, Last Word, God’s Word Series of Daily Text readings. I am beginning to understand that the being and doing is a matter of allowing and releasing the Holy Spirit that is in me to accomplish the descriptive work of the Word. It is a matter of my Holy Discontent (Humility), and surrender and submission (obedience) that allows the Word of God (both living and written) to actually shape and mold me into a new creature.

You might be saying, well how is that really different? There are still prescriptive things you should not do and things that you should do. And you are correct, it is not either or but both and. The difference is that I am not the only one doing it. God is doing the work in me and for me as long as I remain faithful to just stay with it. This why Jesus and JD says, that this an easy yoke and not a burden to bear alone. God and your anchor buddies are walking the road to Emmaus with you.