Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

January 21, 2022 at 6:11 am

Friday, January 21, 2022

Wow, there is a lot in today’s reading and the text from Jesus’s High Priestly Prayer in John 17. I encourage you to read it all. First, John 17:17 makes it clear that the Word of God is The Truth. This is where we begin. You either believe that or you don’t. Any compromise or common ground you try to find is only sinking sand. And anyone who accepts this, puts his hand to the plow and then turns around is not fit for service, so be careful not to be held captive or led astray by the hollow and deceptive philosophies of man and the World (Luke 9:62, Colossians 2:8).

Secondly, we are sanctified by the Truth and the Word, not by our own efforts as we discussed yesterday. What jumped out at me today was how JD explained Sanctification. I used to think being sanctified meant to be perfect without flaws, without sin. As JD explains that’s not what it means, it means to be Holy, which means to be consecrated, which means “to be set apart as a vessel for Divine purposes.”

Accepting the Word and Jesus as The Truth and The Way definitely sets us apart from the World and everyone else that does not believe this. We are set apart as an imperfect vessel to be filled with God’s Holy Spirit and equipped with Spiritual Gifts to accomplish God’s purposes. This is not really about us or just for us. It is not for the purpose of isolation from the World and others, but for the sake of the World and others. We are set apart, filled, and then sent out to be Ministers of God’s Reconciliation and Ambassadors for Christ (2 Corinthians 5:18-20). However, as imperfect vessels, we leak, so we have to be refilled continuously. That is what Discipleship is all about. Lord, I am yours and you are my God, do with me what you will!