Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 5, 2022 at 6:33 am

Seedbed Daily Text – Saturday, February 5, 2022

My thoughts on today’s Text and JD’s reflections could take several different directions. I could launch into one of my familiar rants about the Church’s merger with modern America or the futility of the organized church and what JD calls “scaling” or economies of scale. I don’t want to go there. Suffice it to say that I don’t believe the Church is an organization, it’s a living breathing organism. It’s not about buildings, budgets, or bureaucracies. It is not about addition. It is about sowing a spiritual movement, multiplication and exponential growth.

The focus of my reflections this morning are on Acts 1:8 and JD’s statement that, “We might say the primary marker of being filled by the Spirit is becoming Diaspora—vessels through which the gospel is profusely scattered and sown.” I don’t think Jesus ever intended for us to build churches and to organize ourselves into Holy Huddles internally focused on ourselves and our attendees (Oops there I go again 😬).

John Wesley, the founder of Methodism and the Methodist Movement, which was one the longest lasting and most impactful outcomes of the last Great Awakening in America seems to agree. He said, “I am not afraid that the people called Methodists should ever cease to exist either in Europe or America. But I am afraid lest they should only exist as a dead sect, having the form of religion without the power. And this undoubtedly will be the case unless they hold fast both the doctrine, spirit, and discipline with which they first set out.”

Jesus said, the Holy Spirit will empower you to go and make Disciples of all nations and be my witnesses to the ends of the earth. If the primary marker of being spirit filled is being profusely scattered sowers of the Gospel then we have chosen the wrong model and approach. Don’t get me wrong, It is ok and it is Biblical to gather together and assemble as is your custom (Hebrews 10:25), but it has to be for the purpose of being profusely scattered and for sowing the seeds of the Gospel everywhere we are planted and as we go into the World.

For example, the small group movement is a great step in the right direction. The best way for large churches to grow spiritually is to get smaller, but the focus of these small groups can’t be just a smaller version of the church for the attendees or members. Instead of just forming small groups in our churches, we need to form small groups in our neighborhoods, at work, and in our communities and the purpose of these groups should be to equip the elect, the exiles, to be scattered and spirit filled sowers. Do you see the difference or am I just on another rant? Lord help me be a “diaspora vessel” through which the Gospel is profusely scattered and sown!