Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 11, 2022 at 6:38 am

Seedbed Daily Text – Friday, February 11, 2022

I am a believer in and a student of Wesleyan Theology, so the notion of on-going salvation is easy for me to grasp. Wesley’s concept of Grace and Salvation is in three movements or stages. I am also familiar with experiencing the “inexpressible and glorious” joy of my salvation that Peter is talking about, although I would not necessarily describe it in those terms and it is not present at all the times. For me, the joy of my salvation is the feeling I get when I am in a loving relationship with God and I am fulfilling His purposes for me. It is when I can say all is well with my soul. Now that I think about it, that is pretty glorious.

Today’s question is one that baffles me. Why don’t we experience the inexpressible and glorious joy of our salvation more often? JD is correct, one of the the biggest reason is that no one has ever really taught us that the Gospel and salvation occurs in three movements and that the Joy of our salvation is found in sanctification which occurs in the present. Very few, less than ten percent, ever get pass the first part of the Gospel and justifying salvation, and if they do they are focused on behavior management (do’s and don’ts) and church work, which gets old after awhile. But once we know that what do we do about it?

Another reason that I have experienced is that we are too busy and distracted by the things of the World. Our time is filled with work, family, and the pursuit of happiness, which is not a bad thing, but it is not all there is to life. As we discussed yesterday, we just move from one fire to another. The burning bushes of our present occupies all of our time and effort. There is no time for receiving the sanctifying Grace of Jesus, which is where Peter and JD say the joy of our salvation is found. So, how do we receive sanctifying Grace? I have some ideas, but I don’t want to get ahead of Peter and JD.