Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 12, 2022 at 6:11 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, February, 12, 2022

My answer to JD question is yes. In the past, my vision of salvation was past tense. It involved acknowledging the sins of my past life and a futile attempt to change my behavior to align with God’s commandments and what the church taught me was in keeping with Christian principles.

I also subscribed, as many still do, to the idea that my struggle to behave a certain way was really impossible and that I am just a sinner saved by Grace, which is true. That I would not be fully free from sin’s grasp until my salvation at some point in the future. That not until the resurrection of this corruptible body would I be fully transformed/changed, which is also partially true (1 Corinthians 15:51-57).

Somewhere along the line, I began to grasp a different vision of salvation that is like what Peter and JD are describing, “This salvation is not just something that happened in the past or something that will happen in the future, but a miraculous mystery that is manifesting in the right here, right now lives of ordinary saints every single day.” I began to identify myself not only as a sinner saved by Grace, but as a Child of God and a Person of Worth (COGPOW) right now just as I am. I am not perfect yet, but I am pressing on to perfection now not at some point in the future.

This vision of salvation changed everything including me. It is no longer about me, but about Him. It is no longer about what I do or don’t do. It is about what He has done for me and my response to it. It is no longer about me changing my behavior, but Him changing me through the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit that came to live in me, when I first believed. It’s not about sin management. It is about releasing the Holy Spirit. It is about holy discontent; being broken by God; surrender, submission and radical dependence and trust in God; enjoying profound intimacy with God and love for God, which manifests itself as experiencing a profound compassion and love for humanity (George Barna’s Ten Transformational stops).

The best way that I know to describe the difference in a past and future vision of salvation and a present vision of salvation is to liken it to taking a course in school. Instead of having to earn an A, you are given an A at the beginning of the course. You have passed the course with flying colors. It is no longer something to be lived up to, but something to live into. It is no longer a transaction. It is a transformational journey in response to the gift and you have a tutor right beside you every step of the way. Do you see the difference, does that make sense?