Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 15, 2022 at 6:21 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, February 15, 2022

I grew up in the fifties and the WWII generation that raised me believed children should be seen, but not heard unless spoken to. There was no debating who had the authority and obedience was not an optional behavior. Then I went to a Military College where I learned about the chain of command and to respect authority because it could be a matter of life or death. My first Day Room had a big sign over the door that said, “Instant, Unquestioned Obedience.” When my Dad or the commander said jump, we didn’t call a committee meeting to discuss it. We didn’t even ask how high, we just obeyed. I think that’s why it may be harder for my generation to understand authority as “sitting under God’s Truth.”

I soon learned that real authority even in the military is not given, it is earned. As a young 2nd Lieutenant, just try ordering a bunch of men that have been serving longer than you have been alive and you’ll understand. I also learned that moral authority carries a lot more influence in leading people than positional authority. When I trained leaders, I would ask them, will they follow you even without your rank or positional authority. Jesus is the epitome of a leader who has earned His authority and has full moral suasion. He is full of Truth and Grace, a very powerful combination.

I also learned that real leadership and obedience are a matter of the heart. It has to come from the inside out. That is why I abandoned the purify yourself or behavior management approaches to being sanctified. It really is a matter of sitting under and hearing the truth of God’s Word. It is a matter of surrender and submission, and releasing the Holy Spirit to do the purifying by changing your heart. The outcome is obedience. You can’t start with obedience, you have to have a change of heart first and only Jesus can accomplish that.

However, I will take issue with the idea of sitting too long. For all you Mary’s out there, there comes a time when it’s time to get up and move. We are to be doers of the Word not just hearers of the Word (James 1:22). It is a matter of both being and doing. You can be on the right track and still get run over if you just sit there. Wake up sleeper, and rise from the dead (sitting), and…….