Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 18, 2022 at 7:01 am

That is really cool Michelle! I join you in praying that all our Family members would be saved and that all of us would draw closer to Him, so that we could see Him more clearly and follow Him more nearly.

The Seedbed Daily Text, February 18, 2022

First, the Text we are looking at today is 1 Peter 2:1-3 not 2 Peter 1:1-3. But, Here we go again, wrestling with the Grace and Truth paradox. The reason that you can read today’s Text as behave and don’t do this, but rather do this, is because that is exactly what it says. Peter’s purpose for writing both these letters is to remind us of these things (2 Peter 1:12). Both of Peter’s letters are about growth in Christian virtue and abandonment of your former false self. Paul deals with this same thing in Romans 6:1-2, “What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?”

This may sound like I am arguing with JD’s reflections or trying to prove him wrong. Nothing could be further from the truth. I agree with him completely. The Christian life is not about believing and behaving. It is about believing, being born again, and beholding Christ that results in being and doing. It is not about conformity and “self-interested obedience of compliance. It is the self-forgetful obedience of love.” Christian living is not a transactional proposition. It is transcendent and transformational. I am just trying to sound a warning. It is really not all Grace. It is about both Grace and Truth. All things my be permissible, but not all things are not profitable or appropriate for Christ Followers (1 Corinthians 10:23) and we don’t need to forget that. So, we really do need to “rid ourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind.”

What Peter and JD are saying has nothing to do with continuing in sin. It is not all right for those who have died with Christ to continue to behave like their former selves. Grace may cover that behavior, but that doesn’t make it right or appropriate. What we are talking about is the approach. It’s not about sin management, replacement or detachment from these unacceptable behaviors. It is about displacement of these behaviors through attachment to Christ and Spiritual Milk. The outcome is growth in Christian virtues and Christ like living in the World.