Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 19, 2022 at 6:16 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, February 19, 2022

Did the Church Leave the Building? I certainly hope so. It is almost trite to say that the Church is not the building. Everybody should know that, right? If you don’t understand that the Church Jesus Christ is building is a living body of believers, a Royal Priesthood, then that’s where we need to start with re-thinking church.

We have been organizing ourselves into buildings since the beginning of time. The church building actually serves a purpose as a place to assemble for worship and to receive sound biblical teaching, as a house of prayer, and then there is fellowship and the breaking of bread together, Dinner on the grounds in the rural South. Wherever two or more Methodist or Baptist are gathered there will be fried chicken.

This only becomes a problem when it becomes the focus of what we do, which is the case for most churches in America today. Just follow the money and look at how we spend our time. I will add a third step to JD’s list. Step 1: come to church. Step 2: come to Jesus. Step 3: join a church committee and start doing church work and planning church programs and activities for religious consumers.

We definitely need to change that formula as JD suggests, but I think we need to take it a step further. I would like to see the Body of Christ come together in our communities as one body, one church, serving one Lord, with unity of spirit and love for one another. If we could mobilize the Body of Christ in our communities as one force we could change the World for Christ.

I am not talking about the obligatory ministerial association or the once or twice a year ecumenical worship service. I am talking about a Royal Priesthood of believers; ministers of God’s reconciliation, and Ambassadors for Christ who come together as the Body of Christ to be the salt and light in our communities. To serve the community by taking care of the poor, the widow, the orphan, and the stranger among us. Step one, believing in Jesus and being sanctified by the Holy Spirit with profound love of God and profound compassion and love for humanity. Step two, belonging to the Priesthood of all believers. Step three, blessing others. Lord let it be so with us!