Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 21, 2022 at 12:20 pm

The Seedbed Daily Text, February 21, 2022

I share the longing for the real Church that Peter describes in today’s Text, chosen people, Royal Priesthood, Holy Nation, God’s special possession. I also share JD’s assessment that the organized institutional church of today, for the most part, is not the real Church that Jesus is building. I am not sure that we should abandon looking at the first century church as a model. I think we can learn a lot from the early church, but we can’t just turn the clock back.

If that is the case, then where is this real Church that Jesus is building? I think it sits in the pews (chairs) of our churches today right beside those that have been reclaimed by the enemy. It is scattered all over the World in the form of missionaries and ordinary people doing extraordinary things to serve God’s purposes for the Church. The wheat and the tares are growing up together (Matthew 13:24-30).

The issue we seem to be struggling with is how to reach the lost, reclaim those who have strayed, wake up the sleepers, and mobilize the real Church. At one time, I thought the answer was to clean out the leaven, uproot the the tares, but in the parable cited above, Jesus says we are to wait for the harvest. I now think we should focus on the Holy remnant, make Deep Discipleship the number one priority instead of the weekly worship service, and reform our churches to serve that function. This would require radical adaptive change that will most certainly encounter fierce resistance.