Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 24, 2022 at 6:20 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, February 24, 2022

The metaphor of coaches and players works for me as my previous reflections will testify. There are two issues with this metaphor, as I have experienced it. First, in some cases, the coaches (pastors and paid staff) have taken over the game. They call all the plays and they run all the plays, especially as far as preaching, teaching and leading worship is concerned. The laity are relegated to the role of volunteers that handle the operational mechanics of the church. They may hold the required governance positions, but for the most part they just rubber stamp the decisions of the coaches.

The second issue is that many lay people are very content to be spectators and to participate in what I like to call edutainment. They really don’t want to be in the game and prefer to sit idly in the bleachers over being on the bench ready to play. There are a few who are crying out, put me in the game coach, but they are usually funneled into programs and processes that are aimed at making them qualified and worthy of being a coach rather than a player. That’s not the model Jesus used.

I really don’t blame the coaches, their motives are pure and they are just doing what they think they have to do to keep the church in the game every week, as if that was what it’s all about. JD is right, “The problem is with an inherited mindset around who a priest is and who a priest is not.” We need to focus on changing that mindset and the expectations for both coaches and players. We need to reform our churches as teams and empower and equip them for ministry (Ephesians 4). In the churches that do this well, you can’t really tell who the coaches and players are. They are all active in the ministry of the Gospel. They are all a Chosen People and a Royal Priesthood!