Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 25, 2022 at 6:47 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, February 25, 2022

I don’t think we misunderstand Holiness. We know it when we see it. We just approach it from the wrong direction or we ignore it. We approach it from the outside in, but since I can’t make myself Holy, behavior and image management is futile and superficial at best. We have to accept it by faith, “you are a Holy Nation,” and then live into it. We ignore it at our own peril.

As JD accurately suggests, “Holiness is the fruit of his presence in you.” His presence in us (the elect,those born again) is the Holy Spirit in you. If that is the case, and you release the Holy Spirit in you through Holy Discontent with your false self, brokenness, surrender and submission (obedience) you will become Holy.

Having said all that, Holiness still means to be set apart by a distinct set of behaviors and virtues. These characteristics and qualities define both our Ethnos and our Ethos as a Holy Nation. Peter like Paul spends a great deal of time in his letters telling us what that fruit looks like. He describes the fruit of His presence as moral excellence, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, kindness, and love (2 Peter 1:5-8). He says in verse nine, “For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.” Paul in Galatians 5:19-23 contrasts the fruit of the flesh and the fruit of the Spirit, and admonishes us to walk by the Spirit, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.”

This leads me to the conclusion that if these qualities are not apparent and growing in you, you are either not born again or you have not fully released and surrendered yourself to His presence. Either way, some action is required of us. As a pastor friend once told me, we need to be fruit inspectors. The spiritual practice of examen is helpful in this regard.

We don’t just focus and fix our eyes on Jesus; lift our hearts to Him; set our minds on Him; and offer our bodies to Him as living sacrifices because it is easier and more refreshing than focusing on whether we are being holy enough or not. We do this because it is the only way that works. Lord let it be so with me!