Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

March 12, 2022 at 6:47 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, March 12, 2022

I am definitely tracking with JD on this one. He has done a masterful job of explaining how we should approach the Scriptures. We don’t look at Scripture through a worldly lens or socio-political framework, which is exactly how most people and many in the church interpret today’s text. Most importantly, “these are the revealed words of God. We do not sift them. They sift us. Peter is not writing from a worldly point of view but a Divine vantage point.” We have to approach Scripture from a Biblical and Cross-bearing lens. We are the creation not the creator. We don’t get to rewrite the script. We have to learn how to live it.

JD nailed how the church and society have dealt with these passages, “People tend to at best critique today’s text and others like it and at worst reject them altogether. On the one hand some dismiss them as the benign value set of an ancient near eastern culture with no present day application. On the other hand, some brand them as the dangerous ideology of an oppressive patriarchy.” Neither point of view is correct and the later is very dangerous. It has led us to adopt the latest social engineering fad, privilege and equity. It has also led us to make sexual immorality a matter of choice even in the church. He created them male and female and marriage is between one man and one woman, there is no choice after the fact (Genesis 1:27).

The way that I have dealt with this text is to say that it says what it says, but it is lived out in the way of the Cross, which says that we submit to one another in fear of God and in reverence for Christ (Ephesians 5:21). Wives should submit to their husbands and husbands should respect their wives as the weaker partner, but in submission to one another, which is how we become one with God and willing to die for one another like Christ died for the Church (Ephesians 5:25).