Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

March 16, 2022 at 7:12 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, March 16, 2022

How are we to be Holy as God is Holy? According to Peter, we are to revere Christ. According to JD’s amplified translation, we are to in our “hearts, the innermost place in your innermost self, set apart, sanctify, consecrate, and revere Jesus Christ as Lord.”
    We know from reading the Word and from our own experience that we can’t do that on our own. Behavioral management approaches do not work. Detachment from or replacement of sin does not work. JD says, “we must actually grant him Lordship at the very core and center of our life. Jesus is King, but he must be exalted to the throne of our innermost self.” Making Jesus both Savior and Lord of my life is the only thing that works.

I resonate with all that, but my question is how do we make Him Lord of our life? How do we go beyond salvation to sanctification, consecration, and Holiness. How do we not settle for “not perfect, but forgiven” or not perfection, but progress or my personal favorite flawed, but faithful. All of these attitudes stop short of the Glory of God that is found in Christ (1 Peter 5:10).

What I am learning is that we have to fully and completely open the doors of our heart; deny our false self; be crucified with Christ; and then pick up our cross and follow Him (Matthew 16:24). Opening the door of our heart allows Him to come in and do the work of salvation, but we must also open the doors of our heart that are hidden and locked away to allow Him to do the work of sanctification and transformation. These doors are any aspect of our life that prevents Jesus from being Lord of our life on His terms not ours or that is something we love more than Him. This is not about giving up candy for Lent. This is not a one time event and I am done. As JD says, “it is every day, every hour, every minute” battle. Lord let it be so with me!