Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

March 19, 2022 at 5:55 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, March 19, 2022

The idea that the Ascension of Jesus is the most quoted text from the Old Testament found in The New Testament and that therefore this was what mattered most to the early church not only stretches my imagination, it confuses me. I am not sure you can draw this conclusion just because it is the most quoted scripture from the Old Testament. I guess that makes me a skeptic. I look forward to further clarification from JD and especially his take on Jesus’s descent into Hell, one of the most overlooked parts of His resurrection and ascension.

I am not saying that His ascension is not important and I certainly believe in the bodily resurrection of Jesus. I just think the early church was more focused on the New Commandment, and the Great Commission that Jesus gave the Apostles just before His Ascension. “I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another” (John 13:34). “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:19-29). I believe the great divergence in the church today is Discipleship.