Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

March 23, 2022 at 5:32 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, March 23, 2022

I grew up with the Apostles Creed and I still believe it is important for us to recite it. It contains the non-negotiable Doctrines of our faith that I spoke of earlier. These are not working conclusions. They are not changeable or debatable beliefs, in my view. They are important beliefs that we need to understand and to accept. They are the “solid rock on which we stand all other ground is sinking sand” (Luke 6:47-49). It is unfortunate that many modern day “seeker friendly” churches do not recite this important Creed. It is also important that they not skip the hard parts like, “He descended into Hell.” I look forward to reading/hearing JD’s perspective on this often overlooked or omitted phrase in our Creed.

Another part of the Apostles Creed that causes confusion and is often amended or gets skipped over is the phrase “I believe in the holy catholic church …..”. This phrase gets confused with the organization/denomination of the Roman Catholic Church. You will note that I did not capitalize catholic, which is the way it was meant to appear in the Apostles Creed. The phrase refers to the catholic or universal nature of the Church that Jesus Christ established and is still building today. It is not the Catholic Church or any other denomination. I doubt JD will discuss this, but I think it is important for all Christ Followers to know the history of their church and to understand that there is only one body, one faith, one Church (Ephesians 4:4-6).