Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

March 24, 2022 at 6:56 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, March 24, 2022

This is the best explanation that I have ever read of the Apostles Creed and the phrase “He descended to the dead or Hell.” I can not add anything to what Dr. Tennent has said. It answers all my questions about the dead before Christ and clarifies the complete victory of Christ over Satan and the Law of Sin and Death that we celebrate at Easter. I highly recommend you read his book Foundations of the Christian Faith: a resource for catechism and disciple making (https://seedbed.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=02db73c05fa1c7c5736358be4&id=8de4a08168&e=4bd4ea54a9).

However, a word of caution is needed at this point in my opinion. We live in the time after Christ’s resurrection and before His return or second advent. I believe that the preponderance of Scripture supports the belief that during this time no one will be reconciled to God except through Christ. In other words, eternal separation from God (Hell) is a reality for anyone who refuses to accept Jesus Christ as their Savior.

This teaching has recently (2010) come under fire with the release of a book by Emergent Church leader Rob Bell entitled, Love Wins. Bell supports the ancient heresy that there will be no judgment by God and the theological concept of “ultimate reconciliation.” While this might appeal to universalists and our human sensibilities, it is simply not supported by Scripture.

Gotquestions.org puts it this way, “The doctrine of ultimate reconciliation or universalism may be appealing to human sensibilities, but it is simply wrong and unbiblical. Scripture teaches that beyond this life, there are no second chances. Instead, the Bible declares, “Today is the day of salvation” (2 Corinthians 6:2). Love does indeed win for those who turn by faith to Christ in this life and embrace Him as Savior. Those who don’t and dismiss the concept of hell will find out eternity is an awfully long time to be wrong. As writer Os Guinness puts it, “For some, hell is simply a truth realized too late.”