Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

March 30, 2022 at 7:00 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, March 30, 2022

I knew that JD would address the subject of alcohol sooner or later and it is important that we do so given the disproportional amount of attention it is given in our vain attempts to use behavior management (mostly other people’s behavior) as a means of sanctification. The worst lecture that I ever got on the evils of alcohol was from a mean spirited old man in my church that was a chain smoker.

In the spirit (no pun intended) of full disclosure, I drink wine and enjoy alcohol in moderation. JD is absolutely right, in my view, when he says the issue is not about drinking alcohol, it is about being filled with the Holy Spirit. Anything we eat, drink or do that displaces the Holy Spirit is a problem and should be addressed (Ephesians 5:18). Let me also be clear, alcohol can be addictive and unlike many other legal drugs it can lead to violent and destructive behavior.

As far as our text is concerned, I could take issue with JD’s translation of the Greek word nepho as “watch out for the wine,” which seems to me to still be a backhanded slap at anyone who drinks wine, but I will let you look it up and make up your own mind (Strongs Greek: 3525). I believe Peter used both nepho and sophron to place strong emphasis on the importance of being awake, clear minded, alert, sober and not distracted by anything that would cause you not to hear and see in a spiritual sense (situational awareness). It is when we are distracted that we are the most vulnerable.

As far as his pastoral counsel on the consumption of alcohol is concerned, I find it to be very helpful. Alcohol is a drug and like any other drug we take, it can be abused with horrific consequences. I would add one other caution, do not social drink. By that I mean bar hopping and drinking games. I don’t believe these are in keeping with moderation and are aimed at drunkenness, which is an unacceptable behavior. Lord grant me the wisdom to know and the courage to repent of any behavior that displaces your Holy Spirit or that I come to love more than you.