Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

March 31, 2022 at 6:32 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, March 31, 2022

We have been hanging out with 1 Peter 4:7 for several days now. What I have learned is that the return of Jesus is always near, therefore we need to be of sound judgment and sober; we need to be prepared and vigilant; and we need to always have both the Word and Spirit within us. We also need a small Band of of brothers or sisters to help us do what we can’t do by ourselves; to encourage us; to offer us wise counsel; to pray for us; and to hold us accountable. I have all those things, do you? If not, I want to help you get there.

Having said that, there is one thing we have not discussed about verse seven. The purpose of being of sound judgment and sober is “for the purpose of prayer” (NASB). I don’t think Peter was referring to prayer as something we say or do. I think he meant that we are to be in constant communication with God. We need to keep the channels clear and fully open.

We need to be sober and alert not because we fear that the end is near, but because we need to hear God and do what He says. For me that means that I have to be still, stop talking, listen and know that He is God (Psalm 46:10). I would add to JD’s list that we need to have a daily time for reading His Word, reflecting (listening), self examination, and for recording what we are hearing and how we are going to respond. This has to become a priority in our life and it must come before all else in my opinion.