Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 2, 2022 at 6:32 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, April 2, 2022

Love is the more excellent way and love is the number one priority because “God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him (1 John 4:16-21). The part I struggle with in today’s text is “love covers a multitude of sins.” What does that mean and what does that not mean?

I probably should just wait for JD to unpack this for us, but I think I will go ahead and wade into this idea of a “doctrine of love” that is our only priority above all else. If by this you mean, that Truth is not a priority, then you have lost me. God is both Love (Grace) and Truth (John 1:14). These are the two sides of the same coin and you can’t have one without the other. Therefore, love does not trump truth as some have suggested.

Nor does our love do away with our sin or the wages of sin. We can not go on sinning so that love and Grace may abound (Romans 6). The only love that covers my sin or your sin is the shed blood of Christ. In fact Christ has done away with sin for those who accept Him and are being sanctified (made Holy) in Him (Hebrews 10:12-14). Note that this covering for sin is only for those being sanctified. This is why I am so concerned for those who are not growing deeper in their relationship with Christ beyond salvation and that are willfully and unrepentantly continuing in sin.

So what does the phrase love covers a multitude of sins mean for us? I think it has to do with our forgiveness and forbearance of others who sin against us. We keep no record of wrongs; we are patient and kind; we are not jealous or envious; we give people the benefit of the doubt; we remember that they are a child of God; we don’t gossip about their sin; and we love like Jesus does, as if we have never been hurt.