Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 5, 2022 at 6:37 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, April 5, 2022

“Love covers sin. Your sin, my sin, our sin, a multitude of sins, indeed the sin of the whole world. Love covers sin. We all need constant reminding, and this comes from God as we love each other deeply, in the face of our falls and failures.”  I believe this and accept this, so I am a 10 on JD’s scale. I also believe it is possible to love others with the love of God, but I am not there yet.

However, as I shared earlier, love does not negate the consequences of sin nor does it provide an excuse to willfully and knowingly continue to sin. I think we make a big mistake in raising our children or new Christ Followers in the way they should go, when we remove or don’t follow through with consequences for bad behavior, but that needs to be administered with love and compassion, gently, without anger or condemnation.

I also believe God’s love and forgiveness of sin is appropriated only through Jesus Christ and the way of the Cross. As we have discussed before, God’s love is a cruciform love. It is Jesus’s broken body and shed blood that covers my sin and that’s what we really need to constantly remember.

In order to receive this amazing love that covers all sin, “I must believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth. I must believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit; born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead, and buried; He descended into Hell; the third day he rose from the dead; He ascended into heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the quick and the dead….” (The Traditional UMC Version of the Apostles Creed).

Finally, I believe that the proof of having received this amazing love that covers all sin is the fruit of the Spirit. If you have had a genuine saving experience with Christ you are born again and those who are born again do not practice or continue sinning (1 John 3:9). Your want to’s are being changed. You are being sanctified and made Holy by the Spirit of Christ that lives in you. You will love others as Christ loved you on the Cross. By that standard, I am probably doing good to be a 7 or 8.