Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 10, 2022 at 6:11 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, April 10, 2022

First, I am having a hard time putting meddlers or conservatives in the same camp as progressives or liberals. Meddlers believe in the authority of God’s Word, but misapply it through their “incessant meddling with the surrounding culture and the legalistic, judgmental application of the teachings of Scripture on those who do not subscribe to Scripture.” Progressives, Liberals and even some moderates deny the authority of God’s Word. They are self deceived into thinking that the way to love the sinner is to “compromise the teaching of Scripture in order to affirm anything and everything under the sun and so baptize the surrounding culture.” The former is misguided application of the Truth. The latter is false teaching and denial of the reality and consequences of Sin.

There is a big difference in my mind between these two groups even though I believe Peter addresses both groups in his letters, but here he is addressing false teaching not misapplication. Verse 10 affirms this for me, “This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the flesh and despise authority.” JD is right, “False teaching almost always bends, or distorts the authority of truth in order to accommodate the corruption and brokenness of the human body most often manifested through disordered desire,” but I don’t see many conservatives advocating following the corrupt desires of the flesh or denying the authority of God’s Word.

As far as “Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin” is concerned, I don’t have a problem with this phrase, but I agree with JD it does not work in practice. If you couple hating the sin with loving the sinner, all they hear is you hate me the way I am. I much prefer the “Love the Person, Love the Truth” phrase. I try to love unconditionally and I love the Truth unconditionally. I try to tell the truth with love and compassion, but I don’t waste time casting pearls before swine or those who reject me, and I don’t compromise the reality or consequences of Sin in the name of love. And as JD concludes, “None of any of this is about hating people or excluding people or judging people. It is about the sobriety and the overwhelming weight and consequences of revealed truth—which is ultimate reality.” Amen!