Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 11, 2022 at 7:08 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, April 11, 2022

First, all I can say to JD’s reflections today is Amen and Amen. Framing our discussion of Scripture with worldly ideological frameworks is polarizing and destructive. We need to use a Biblical framework and we need to let Scripture interpret Scripture. I do not identify myself with either conservatives or progressives. I do not even identify myself with the nomenclature Christian because of what it has come to mean in the World today. I am a Child of God and a Christ Follower, period. I consider myself to be a resident alien in this World, but as long as I am here, I am a minister of God’s reconciliation and an ambassador for Christ.

I also welcome and invite judgment. I realize and confess that I could be wrong on many of my points of view and I am open to the Holy Spirit and wise counsel’s correction, but the Word of God is not negotiable for me. Psalm 139: 23-24 is a life verse for me and I pray it often. If I have offended anyone with my reflections that was not my intent. My quest in reading Scripture is to know God and His Truth more fully and to follow Him more closely.

Having said that, let’s not miss what Peter is saying and what is really polarizing the Body of Christ. Peter is addressing false teaching and false teachers regardless of their ideological camp or nomenclature. Today, he is challenging us to begin that judgment within the Household of God beginning with ourselves. So for me the important question is what constitutes false teaching. In my view, false teaching is anything that does not uphold the “Gospel of God” as revealed in the Word of God and embodied in the person and teachings of Jesus Christ.

What has been polarizing humanity since the beginning of time is not issues of culture, but the authority of God’s Word. There are those who believe that God’s Word is a progressive revelation that must be informed by the prevailing culture and human experience. Then there are those who believe that all of God’s Word is authoritative, inherent, good for teaching, for reproof, and training in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16). That it says what it says and that it is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. There is no middle ground or comprise for this division in my mind. The former position is false teaching, the later is Truth, in my view, but I confess I could be wrong.