Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 12, 2022 at 7:11 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, April 12, 2022

Using JD’s age definition, I am definitely an Elder because I am 74 years old. However, I believe our text is referring to our spiritual age and to those in leadership not our chronological age. I know some Christ Followers under 55 that are spiritual elders and I know some 70 year olds that are still spiritual babies. I find JD’s reflections on eldership encouraging, challenging, and instructive.

I prefer the term Spiritual Parents. When we are born again, we are spiritual babies regardless of our age. The problem with spiritual babies is that they can’t feed themselves and they are not potty trained, so they can really make a mess of things. Therefore, it is better not to put new believers into positions of eldership too early (1 Timothy 3:6). We grow spiritually through various stages of faith just like we grow physically. Biblically, these stages of faith are childhood, young adulthood, and Fatherhood or parenthood (1 John 2:12-14). There are milestones or benchmarks for each of these stages of faith that time and space will not allow me to elaborate on here, but if you are interested in learning more, please let me know.

We are all on a spiritual journey and our goal should be to become spiritual elders and spiritual parents. I agree with JD, if you are Spiritual Parent you have a flock to Shepherd and you don’t have to be ordained to be the Shepherd of your flock. I like what he said about growing older as a Spiritual Parent, “We have the opportunity to lead the culture in what it looks like to die well—to go out not with a whimper, but in a blaze of glory, leaving a legacy of life and love.” I call this the three L’s of Life: Live fully, Love Deeply, and Leave a Legacy. I have taught these to my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren, and I share them with you now. Lord let me die well with my boots on.