Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 13, 2022 at 5:38 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, April 13, 2022

I am not a golfer, so the explanation of “swing thoughts” helped. In all things we do, focus is important. In sporting clays (my kind of golf), you focus on the clay target not the gun. My swing thought is “be the clay.” Both of these analogies really fit today’s text and our goal of becoming like Christ for the sake of others. If you want to “clothe yourself in humility toward one another” and you want to be like Christ and not lie to one another. You have to focus on Christ and nothing else. This does not mean that other things are not important, but the main thing is to center yourself on Christ.

As far as humility is concerned, I am not humble in my false self. I am insecure, a control freak, a people pleaser, a perfectionist (performance minded), and I bite my nails 😢. That is why I am on a deeper journey into the 2nd part of the Gospel (sanctification). What I have discovered, the hard way, is that I can’t do this on my own. Behavior management does not work. I have to abandon my false self and put on my true self, my Christ self, but I have also learned that I can’t do this by myself. I need to focus on Jesus by focusing on my spiritual self, which is the Holy Spirit that lives in me, but I can’t do this by myself either. That is where fellowship with other believers comes in. The deeper journey is not a solo journey.

An important part of our fellowship with other believers is our weekly gatherings (assembly) for corporate worship and teaching on Sundays, but if this is all you are doing you will not reach your goal in my opinion and experience. You need smaller more intimate forms of discipleship. Banding is one means to this end, but there are others in my view. If you want to explore this more please let me know.