Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 14, 2022 at 7:05 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, April 14, 2022

I am by nature (my old nature) an anxious person. I call it being concerned and caring not lackadaisical. I don’t just worry and fret over things I can’t control, I worry and fret over things I can control. This is because I am control freak, people pleaser, and perfectionist. However, what really causes anxiety, in my view, is the lack of radical trust in God, which is my new nature and my true self.

My youngest son always sings me the song “Don’t Worry, be Happy.” While I appreciate the sentiment, chasing happiness does not alleviate anxiety either. The only thing I have found that works in the short run is to pray; give all your anxieties to Him; and to make known your requests. In Philippians 4:6-7, Paul instructs us to “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” That seems to work for me, especially at 2:00 am when I wake up worrying about stuff, but that is not the long term remedy.

The remedy for anxiety in the long run is to die to your old false self and be reformed into your new true self that has radical trust in God. This is the deeper journey into the second part of the Gospel that we are constantly talking about. This is not something you can do. This is the work of the Holy Spirit and it takes time. All you can do is cease your striving, and surrender and submit to the Holy Spirit’s teaching and guidance. It also helps to have a Band of brothers or sisters to walk this road with you and hold you accountable.