Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 18, 2022 at 7:12 am

The Seedbed Daily Text, April 18, 2022

There is no doubt that Paul places a lot of emphasis on “being in Christ.” This phrase appears over and over in his writings. There are 600 occurrences of this phrase in the Bible most of them are in Paul’s letters. JD rightly asserts that the Great Awakening that we are sowing for depends on our answer to the question of wether we really live in Christ and I would add belong to the Church He is building. He says, “This begins to happen when our attention turns from our disgruntlement with the insanity around us to our discontent with the incongruity within us. When this awakening becomes greater and greater within us it leads to the awakening becoming greater and greater around us.” This is the “domino effect” that I assume this new Daily Text Series is focused on.

JD’s opening questions could take days to answer, but here are my short responses:

What do you make of this picture-and-frame analogy with respect to “in Christ” and “in Colossae”? If I understand the analogy, the question is will I be part of the picture and blend into the landscape or will I help frame the picture with my core values, beliefs, mission and vision? Will I be part of the solution or part of the problem? Am I willing to be in the picture, but not of the picture?

Are you tired of the conventional religion of cultural Christianity? What ways do you see that “in America” (or your own context) has corrupted what it means to live “in Christ”? I could really go off on a rant on this question. I have been tired of the conventional religion of cultural Christianity for many years. I really don’t want to be in that picture, but I do want to help frame it and restore it to its first love. The primary way that I see that the conventional religion of cultural Christianity has corrupted what it means to “be in Christ” is the abandonment of belief in the authority of God’s Word. We have suspended or amended the Word of God to placate to the prevailing culture and our human sensibilities. We have become producers of religious goods and services for religious consumers who want teachers of their own choosing that will just tickle their ears. We have bought into Hyper Grace and ignored the Truth in order to please and not offend them. One final hindrance is our fixation on buildings, budgets, and bureaucracies. Form should always follow function.

What will it look like to turn the focus from the problems out there onto your own life and faith? I must turn my focus from just Holy discontent with the incongruity within me to doing something about it. I must have a broken and contrite heart. I must repent, confess and believe that He who began a good work in me can complete it. I must deny my false self, pick up my cross, and follow and abide in Christ. My life must become hidden with Christ in God (Colossians 3:3).